Friday, October 10, 2014

Are we safe in the cloud?

Cloud computing- we have all heard of it, but most recently what we hear about are major issues with data security “in the cloud”.


In light of the major news story in the last month, Apple’s cloud being hacked and personal celebrity pictures leaked, the concern over data security in cloud computing is increasing.


IMAGE: MASHABLE COMPOSITE/ISTOCKPHOTO

What is cloud computing?
Cloud computing is the concept that people can use their devices, computers, smart phones, or tablets, to access data from internet servers, so that the data is not taking up space in their local drive (Oja & Parsons, 2014, p. 329).  This service comes with the advantage of being more efficient in accessing data which can be shared on multiple platforms, and allows businesses to have uniform technology throughout.  Overall, the cloud allows for more collaboration, availability, flexibility, and cost reductions for computing (Mahajan & Giri, 2014, p. 79).
This technology can be especially useful for libraries.  Employees could save data in the cloud and access it either at home or at work.  Or, if a patron does not have access to a computer at home, they would be able to save data virtually and access it each time they come to the library.
To see how the cloud is already being used in a library setting, take a look at Georgina Library's audiobook cloud.



While cloud computing is gaining in popularity, people are still hesitant to, in essence, hand over their personal information to the company providing the cloud service.   Right now, the main security measure for a person’s account is authentication by ID and password (Strickland, 2008).  As we all know, this can all too often be overcome by hackers with something like a brute-force attack.
Hackers are aware that password security is weak and that the cloud is a relatively new service.  They are targeting cloud computing and taking advantage of the many holes in its security (Risen, 2014).  However, the companies that provide cloud services are mindful that their reputations will be staked on their security, so they will continue to patch any vulnerabilities.  Apple for example, has taken a step forward by replacing password security with TouchID for their newer devices (Risen, 2014).  Admittedly, a fingerprint will be much harder to hack than a password.

Discuss
Do you use the cloud?  What reservations do you have about the security of your data?




References
Mahajan, H., & Giri, N.  (2014).  Threats to cloud computing security.  International
Technological Conference, 2014, 79-84.
Oja, D., & Parsons, J. J.  (2014).  Comprehensive computer concepts 2014 (pp. 4-231).  Boston,
MA:  Course Technology, Cengage Learning.
Risen, T.  (2014, October 2).  Will the cloud kill the password?.  Retrieved from
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/10/02/will-cloud-security-kill-the-password
Strickland, J.  (2008, April 8).  How cloud computing works.  Retrieved from
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cloud-computing/cloud-computing.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maria, great post. I do use the cloud, actually, for my schoolwork. I backup my files on dropbox, an online storage tool. That way I can access it from my computer, my phone, or any other computer with internet access. I find it incredibly useful, and it has saved me more than a couple of times. I like it because unlike a flashdrive I can't lose it. But I must admit that I do wonder about the security sometimes. I am essentially trusting this company with my data, and I have no idea what kind of safety protocols they have.
    I think libraries are in a tough place when it comes to cloud computing, too. They have to think about the privacy of their patrons - and what if the info they stored in the cloud was hacked? I do think that cloud computing will become more ubiquitous in the future, but now in the beginning stages I can see why people would be unsure about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cloud computing is an extremely useful technology, but it shows a lot of the issues people have with computer security. People have been taught that creating a strong password is the most important thing, the more complex the better. Unfortunately, a password you can't remember is just as weak. Often times, people write it down and depending on your environment, people can learn your information by looking over your desk.

    There is also the issue of security questions, which is another popular method of hacking. Using your social media, hackers can find the answers to these questions and get into your account. "What city were you born in?" Let's just look it up on Facebook. There's not much a person can do here, because the websites often chose the security questions. If they allowed you to create both the question and answer, I believe cloud computing, and the internet as a whole, would be much more secure.

    ReplyDelete